"History is the only laboratory we have in which to test the consequences of thought." Etienne Gilson
History isn't a subject that's stuck in the past. Far from it. Historical events have shaped society into what it is today. History helps you to understand the value and significance of world events in the past. In the process, you'll gain a deeper understanding of social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity. Knowing how people lived in the past helps us to understand why people act as they do today. Your A-level in History gives you knowledge and skills which will prepare you for higher education, and which are also useful in any career.
Employers and universities value History very highly. The skills which are taught within the subject are very useful in work, study and life. Students who specialize in History can go on to become historical researchers, work in heritage organisations or become teachers. But History also supports other career paths, such as journalism, politics, law, social work and public services.
When studying History you will:
- Use information effectively by weighing conflicting factors carefully before taking critical decisions
- Be analytical and critical when considering information presented to you
- Understand how and why humans behaved as they did
- Learn the arts of oral debate and expressing a clear personal point of view
You are taught to think and then make up your own mind!
Any special requirements?
GCSE History is not essential, but a grade B/5 or above in GCSE History would be an advantage.
What will I study and how will it be assessed?
A-level students must take assessments in the following:
- Component 1: Breadth Study - 1C The Tudors: England, 1485-1603
- Component 2: Depth Study - 2R The Cold War, c1945-1991
- Component 3: Historical Investigation (Personal Study) - Russia c.1856-1941
Please click here for a course leaflet. If you would like further information about this subject please contact the Head of History, Mr J Waller at:
Queens Road West
T 01254 232 992
F 01254 355 215