Further Mathematics is taught alongside A Level Maths
Further Mathematics is an AS/A-level qualification which both broadens and deepens the mathematics covered in AS/A-level Maths. Any student considering a degree in a maths rich subject such as engineering, sciences, computing, finance or economics should seriously consider Further Maths.
Why Further Mathematics?
- Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
- For someone who enjoys Mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the university and employment market.
- Some prestigious university courses will only accept students with Further Mathematics on Maths-based degrees.
- Studying Further Maths boosts students' performance in AS/A-level Mathematics.
- 33% of all universities mention Further Maths as desirable or essential for a Mathematics degree and for those universities in the Russell Group, this proportion is 65% (May 2012).
- Many universities are now encouraging students to take Further Maths if they wish to study Maths-related subjects such as engineering, sciences, computing or technology.
Any special requirements?
To study Further Mathematics you need to have obtained at least a grade 8 at GCSE.
What will I study?
If you would like further information about this subject please contact the Course Leader of Further Mathematics, Mrs S Martin at: