The Technology Faculty is a practical, hands-on department where we aim to build pupils' confidence, interest and skills, designing and making new products and systems.
Through Technology, pupils enjoy learning the important life skills of
We have eight
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3, pupils follow differentiated schemes of work that cover the five main material areas of Technology:
- Resistant Materials
All pupils in years 7 and 8 experience working in all five material areas lead by specialist staff in specialist facilities. In year 9, pupils choose to specialise in just three areas to prepare them for GCSE study in Technology.
All pupils have a Technology teacher as their mentor, who will carefully monitor their rate of progression through all the material areas and report the progress to parents.
Key Stage 4
At KS4 the Technology Faculty offers an extensive choice of both academic and vocational GCSE subjects, all taught by specialist staff in our specialist facilities. These include:
- AQA Design and Technology: Electronic Products (Click HERE for specification)
EduquasFood Preparation and Nutrition (Click HERE for specification)
- AQA Design and Technology: Graphic Products (Click HERE for specification)
- AQA Design and Technology: Resistant Materials (Click HERE for specification)
- AQA Design and Technology: Textiles Technology (Click HERE for specification)
- AQA Engineering (Click HERE for specification)
- WJEC Hospitality and Catering (Click HERE for specification)
To see more detailed descriptions
Key Stage 5
At KS5 the Technology Faculty offer a range of three A-level subjects, taught by specialist staff in modern, specialist A-level facilities. These are:
- AQA Design and Technology: Product Design (3D)
- AQA Design and Technology: Food Technology
- AQA Art and Design: Textile Design
All Food Technology and Catering pupils are given the option of studying for the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health "Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering", which is an invaluable, national Food Safety qualification for food handlers.
Within the Technology
There are many other extra-curricular clubs or activities including a Lego Mindstorm Club and a "Trashion Show" with creative fashion designs from recycled materials.
We also run trips to support our curriculum work including our Textiles Enrichment, City Gallery and Museum Trip to London and abroad, and Industrial Visits to support both Food Technology and Product Design.
We also give pupils opportunities to put their designing and making skills to the test and compete against pupils from other schools in various competitions. These competitions include "The British Aerospace Technology Tournament", Blackburn College "Young Chef of the Year" Competitions and The Institute of Manufacturing "Make It in Manufacturing" Competition where we regularly have successes.
- Mrs C O'Reilly (Head of Technology)
- Mrs A Parker (Second in Technology )
- Mr G Brooks
- Mr E Goddard
- Mrs A Morrison
- Mr L Robinson
- Mrs M Lane
- Mr D Corran
- Mr G Balchin
- Mrs W Greenwood